- NHS Education for Scotland. Getting published
- BMJ. Fundamentals of good medical writing
- Medium.com. 31 Things to consider when choosing which journal to submit your paper to
- Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust. Writing a journal paper or preparing your work for publication
- University Hospitals of Leicester. Writing Club blog
Choosing a journal
- JANE - Journal/Author Name Estimator
- Think Check Submit - choosing the right journal for your research
- Elsevier Journal Finder
- SpringerNature & BMC Journal Suggester
- Wiley Journal Finder
- BMJ Author Hub. How to choose a journal
Enago Academy, 2019. Eigenfactor vs. Impact Factor - how are they different?
SJR - Scimago Institutions - Journal and Country Rank. Journal impact factors
Journal article on the benefits of a writing group
Samora, JB., Spencer, SP, Valleru, J. et al (2019) Writing group increases quality improvement writing competency. American Journal of Medical Quality, first published 12 November 2019.
Quality Improvement (QI) is critically important in current medical practice. Although many QI courses teach improvement science and methods, formal education in writing QI manuscripts for academic journal publication is lacking. The authors developed a QI Writing program, consisting of educational sessions with both coach and peer mentors, to improve comfort and productivity in preparing QI manuscripts for publication. Program participants conducted pre and post course QI writing skills self evaluations in 4 competency domains: SQUIRE guidelines, writing for peer reviewed journals, QI publication submission steps, and critically examining QI results. Course success was measured by the number of manuscripts submitted for publication. QI writing competencies doubled in 3 of 4 domains and increased 70% in the fourth. Fifteen of 17 (88%) course participants submitted manuscripts to a peer-reviewed journal, and 12 have been accepted to date. A formal writing group with didactic content and committed mentors increases QI writing competencies and manuscript submissions to peer-reviewed journals.