Once you have sorted out your files and they are beautifully organised, you want them to stay that way!
We suggest that you create some rules that everyone who will be using the shared space agrees to.
These could include:
- The rule is that one copy (the master copy) should be retained in a place which is accessible to all staff who would need to see it.
- If a document is available elsewhere (e.g. from a different dept), create a link to it instead (eg create shortcuts in your My Documents folder if necessary).
- There should be no duplicate copies of documents kept, unless there is a specific reason to do so.
- Version control of documents is implemented on Sharepoint, and guidance updated for staff to use.
- It is the author’s responsibility to note on a document the name of the document that it replaces, and to make sure that the old one is moved or deleted as appropriate.
- Staff are responsible for their own documents, eg. projects, outreach – and for making sure they are stored in the correct place for the correct period. They may also delete things before the standard time limit if they feel it is appropriate, but consult a member of the BCS team or your line manager first if in any doubt.
- Documents and document versions should be included in staff exit interviews, so that the location of material can be captured before a member of staff leaves the organisation.
- If the information is for your own personal use only (eg your own personal versions of a training presentation, journal articles and other material saved for your personal development/interest), it can be kept in your My Documents folders using the BCS filing system.
Please use the Comments to add any you have found work well for your team.