The information offered in this resource has been compiled as accurately and comprehensively as possible, and is reviewed regularly. The resource does not, however, offer legal advice. Anyone using the resource must satisfy themselves that any action they take is in accordance with the law, and seek appropriate advice if they are in any doubt as to the legality of what they intend to do.
If you are at all unsure about whether your intended use is covered by a permission recorded in this catalogue, please contact your local copyright champion.
Please note that this resource was compiled only for NHS Scotland, any permissions granted are specifically for NHS Scotland and cannot be taken as permission for use anywhere else.
What is this resource for?
This is a catalogue of Diagnosis Tools and Outcome Measures which may be of use for patients in NHS Scotland, they were created by librarians across NHS Scotland. The records are a result of requests to search for the copyright status of these works so frontline staff can be sure that they are working within the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended)
What are the categories?
For ease of understanding permissions are grouped under categories, so you can quickly ascertain what you can and cannot do.
- 1 Unlimited National Permission: These are public domain or national permission has been granted through either license or explicit permission from the copyright owner.
- 2 Limited Permission: Permission has been granted through either license or explicit permission, however some limits will apply, these limits have been listed for you and you MUST comply with them.
- 3 Application Required: Permission may be considered by the copyright owner, however individuals need to apply.
- 4 Commercial Tool: These are commercially licensed tools, a charge will be applied – we would also recommend that you consult with your local procurement department prior to purchase as a local license may already be in situ.
- 5 Orphan Worked: Do not use - The owner cannot be traced, note you may be able to apply for a license from the government to use, speak to your Copyright Champion.
- 6 Permission Denied: No permission has been granted, or the permission has been denied by the copyright owner.
Does this mean I can copy from journals and books?
Copying from a published book or journal is not permitted *unless* it falls under the NHS Scotland Copyright License, another license (e.g. Open Access, Creative Commons) or there is explicit permission has been granted– for further advice contact your local librarian or Copyright Champion.
Regardless of what category of permission or restriction has been provided any use must comply with the following rules:
• Full credit will be given for the source of the material
• No charge or profit of any kind will be made from the use of the material
• The work will not be used in a derogatory way
• Copyright notices on the original work will not be amended or changed in any way
• By being granted permission, the owner is in no way waiving their copyright and is only providing permission for re-use/copying of their material as outlined in this catalogue
How do I find what I am looking for?
Use the search function on the front page, or browse the topics.
What if what I want isn’t on the list?
NHSGGC staff can 'submit a request' at the top of the page and select Tools and Measures. Staff from other boards should contact their local library service.
Can I copy this catalogue?
Although the tools and measures may belong to other copyright owners, this compilation or catalogue is Copyright © NHS Scotland, 2017. It can be freely distributed and copied within NHS Scotland.
NHS Scotland staff may add local contacts and links (to local versions etc) but may not delete any part of any record. To ensure you keep up to date you should click Follow for any article or Section you are interested in, registration and verification will be required, but will be permitted within NHS Scotland.